Saturday, May 19, 2012

About the color of friendship


 
                I want to write again because a person I meet for a week in my life more than a year ago remind me of the comfort I always found in the process. I may not be a great writer, I have many spelling mistakes but yet the idea of me and the paper brings me a little peace and comfort. So to give credit where credit is due, Everett thank you for the idea...
So to start of with a little recap:
a)      I have been working on a cruise ship for the last 3 years, 6 month on – 2 months of.
b)      I am single – I am not sure if that is definitory for someone’s life status
c)       I am getting a little lost on my way to life
Lately I have been feeling like I am an a room full of people, a room of  people and I scream as hard as I can and they all laugh but not at me, nope they just carry on with their little life and don’t stop. I am not sure how to change that.
This morning the guy that was working on my air conditioning was explaining to me what great  friend my roommate is to him. My roommate hardly speaks English and needs explication while watching FRIENDS. The guy speaks English but the words have different meaning, the AC switch to him was the bathroom light switch and as hard as I tried I could not explain to him witch switch was broken using spoken words, maybe kinglon would be a better choice. AND YET they both claimed to be good friends.
I got to thinking then what defines a friend? Is it the great conversation, them holding your hand when you need to, listening even if they don’t necessary understand, sharing your passions, knowing you as well as you know yourself or even better, knowing your deepest fears and trying to protect you???? What is the recipe.
In the last months I hear from various people ( without being modest) that “ a friend like you comes only once in a life time”; “ you are an amazing friend I will never let you go”; ÿou are my best of friend” etc, etc, etc and yet none of this people are in my life now, it took a few months to go from that to here.
In our ever faster moving world – I think relationships have also started to fast forward to their usual course, we don’t take the time to form connections, to get to know someone, it takes just a few laughs and maybe a drink or two and that is it – instant friends. But this friendship put to the test of a real conversation, an honest opinion, a talk that is not comfortable breaks just like a rain drop touching the Earth.
I am tired of this useless ties, false artificial friendship, to me a friend is a soul mate, they are like family we get to choose …
               


No comments:

Post a Comment